I have written a lot about basic science and technology on this blog! This post is intended to serve as an index, loosed organized by topic, of those posts.
- What is an Atom?
- What is charge?
- The Electron Cloud
- Electrons, Bonding, and the Periodic Table
- The Rainbow of Bonds
- Particles, Field Theory, and the Higgs Boson
- Radiation and the Cookie Test
Condensed Matter Physics
- Ordering of atoms in matter
- The Polymorphism of Chocolate
- Crystal Lattices and Atomic Ordering
- I’m With the Band Theory
- Electrons and Holes
- A Quick Introduction to Photonics
- Defects in the Crystal Structure of Materials
- Metamaterials and the Wave Nature of Things
- Pitch and Viscosity
- Plasmons, Shiny Metals, and Stained Glass
Electronics and Circuits
- Electronics: The Bigger Picture
- How Resistors and Capacitors Work
- Moving Charge, Magnetism, and Inductors
- Active and Passive Circuit Components
- P-N Junctions: Building Blocks of Digital Electronics
- The Many Roads from P-N Junctions to Transistors
- What are ‘digital’ electronics?
- What is a memristor?
- Electronic Display Basics
- Plasma Displays and Plasma Physics
- The Electronic Eye: Charge-Coupled Devices
Quantum Mechanics and Nanoscience
- The Weird Quantum World
- What is spin?
- Magnets, How Do They Work?
- Photoelectric Interactions
- Visible Light and the Electromagnetic Spectrum
- Light, Scattering, and Why The Sky Is Blue
- Why the Nanoscale Matters